Monday, June 2, 2008

A Horticulture Tragedy!

Saturday I looked out my window and noticed how pretty and big my plants were getting and thought, I need to take a picture of these guys for my blog, I'll do it later. Well, of course, anytime you ever say 'I'll do it later' something bad happens. All of a sudden I hear a funny sound, wait awhile, and realized there are ice chunks falling out of the sky! HAIL! I watched for awhile amazed since I've never seen anything like this (there were some balls slightly bigger than 1" diameter way bigger than I've ever seen) then came back in to finish some housework. A few minutes later I realized my little garden was probably in distress and dashed back to the window. Unfortunately, I seem to have come too later, this is what I found.


This was a red pepper plant on the left and a strawberry plant on the left. I can't even tell where they went into the ground, it's just a jumble of leaves and stems.

And this was a beautiful full tomato plant. I was really proud of how green and healthy it was. On the up side, I do expect this one to survive, which is more than I can say for the others.

And just for fun, here's a picture of all the hail balls on the ground.

This is one of the bigger chunks I found. I actually stuck it in the freezer to show Calder in case he missed the storm. He was actually driving during it, so he was very aware of the hail. At least us and our car survived ok.

No comments: